Big Dam Bridge 100 2017

The Big Dam Bridge 100 is Arkansas' largest bicycle event. It hosted over 3300 riders this year and its name honors Arkansas' most amazing structure, the Big Dam Bridge. Offering ride options from a mile to 100 miles, riders come from all over to ride. It is not a race and no awards are given to the one who finishes first. Riders ride as a team or as solo riders.

Support is offered throughout the ride. Every ten miles, cyclists can refill bottles with water and Gatorade and eat peanut butter sandwiches, oreos, pickles, pickle juice, oranges and bananas at volunteer staffed aid stations. Sag wagons are provided for cyclists unable to finish and officials monitor the course and maintain radio communications to ensure everything runs safe and all runs smooth.

Because I teach every Saturday and most events are held on Saturday, the BDB 100 is the only ride out of the year I participate in. The only other event I have ridden in is the Tour De Delta, in 2012. It is a metric century, 100 km. I have also participated in 100 mile and metric century rides in Texas before moving to Arkansas. 

The 2017 BDB was the 3rd one I have ridden in. I rode in 2012 and 2015, and completed the 100 mile course each time. It was held this past weekend. 

Registration was online, and this past Friday I went to the State House Convention Center to pick up my rider's packet. No one was in line and I quickly got my packet and was on my way. Besides advertisements, there was an included t shirt, number stickers for my bicycle and helmet and a paper number to pin to my jersey, and various instructions and a schedule,

One of those instructions directed me to be be in place on Riverside in North Little Rock, right along the river. I woke up at 5, made final preparations and was on my way. 

It was still dark when we lined up but by the time 7 AM ticked off, the sun was waking up and we were off. That early in the morning was cool, but was in the 90s by noon. 

Soon we were on the river trail. They staggered the riders so that all 3300 of us didn't start at the same time. I started near the front, but I was not interested in maintaining a overly fast pace. I ended up with about a 12-13 mph average. My strategy was to take my time and go the distance rather than go hard at the beginning and not make it. I estimate that a thousand people probably passed me during the first third of the ride. 

I carried two water bottles with me, I picked up two new ones at Chainwheel, a bike shop here in Little Rock. Unfortunately, I lost one when I hit the bottom of the Little Rock side of the Big Dam Bridge. I did okay with only one but at the end of the Wye Mountain climb I did run out of water. This was only shortly before the aid station at the top of the mountain. 

I was concerned if I was actually going to make the entire 100 miles this year. I'm not sure that I've been maintaining the necessary 50 miles a week that I feel I need to have to prepare for this event. My preparation started this winter. I did interval training on a stationary bicycle and also did ab and arm workouts. My philosophy most of my life has been to just work on my legs and not to worry about anything else. However, I did see that my increased body strength also greatly increased my endurance for this long ride. That is what allowed me to be successful this year. 

I particularly noticed it on the Wye Mountain climb. There was a silent reverence as I and the other riders that climbed with me began our ascent up the mountain.I didn't use my 3rd granny gear this year like I did 2 years ago. I practiced climbing all hills this season in my largest front gear. During the ride I did downshift to the middle gear for all climbs, again to ensure my endurance. 

I have not been feeling confident on descents, I feel like the downhills could just carry me away. I probably did more braking than most people did. My phone died around the 70 mile mark. But the app states that my top speed was around 32 mph. 

The post ride event was at the river on the North Little Rock River side All riders completing the 100 mile ride got a medal and I also got hot dogs. Lost Forty was giving away beer but I decided to pass on that since I was already out of it after the long ride. 

It was a beautiful ride. The back roads of Arkansas offer the most incredible views anywhere, and being on a bicycle allows one to go slow enough to enjoy it.

I was very happy with my progress this year. My endurance was stronger than previous years. My top speed on shorter rides has increased. This winter I plan to continue my indoor training to increase my overall speed and time and to continue to increase my endurance. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's This Girl

I Rent Hammond Organs!

Being a Church Musician